- peering down for a broader view -

Monday, March 27, 2006

Just a little R E S P E C T

Today I met with a great friend of mine for lunch. We meet occasionally to update each other on what is going on in our lives – usually with regards to our careers. My friend “J” is my mentor. She is an energetic, authentic, compassionate, independent, and wise woman. Although our ages are on either side of a twenty-some-odd year gap, we connect in a way that feels like we are sisters. Sisters walking a well-worn path that women before us have walked. J is farther ahead on the path – giving me frequent tips to make my journey more efficient. I am always eternally grateful for our visits.

I have a deep interest in women’s issues. I am committed to raising my daughter to realize her capabilities, embrace her strengths, and proclaim them to the world. Yet the world is not always so gracious at opening its arms. The inequalities that continue to run rampant in our world – and inequalities between men and women are just a glimpse – create an overwhelming sense of rebellion in me. If I never went through a rebellious stage before, it finds itself boldly surfacing now, in these circumstances.

When a woman holds the exact same job title and description as a man yet earns 30% less income only because she lacks a penis - this doesn’t sit well with me. When a boy in my classroom refuses to wipe out the microwave during class job time because it’s a “girl’s job” – it causes an eyebrow to raise in disbelief. When a woman bears a child and chooses to stay home - -or not – yet is expected to be in charge of all things home related because she “has time” I cringe at the ignorance. When my sister yayas chat with me over coffee or wine and share stories about what their “other” half said to them in anger, I cry with them but feel the rage inside start to boil.

What is this inequality? Where do these ingrained man-thoughts originate? Why is not the same respect for strangers afforded to the women they love? How have we let our world become so male-dominated? How have we allowed such complacency?

This is the path that I walk. I am grateful that it is well worn because many wise and dedicated women created this path out of the rough. However, my fear is that our complacency is distracting us from continuing to move forward and the path may become overgrown.

I love my husband, my dad, and other men too. I’m not a feminazi. I am an egalitarian who yearns for women to be respected.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bobita said...

PREACH. IT!

You soooo Rock!

We will do it! We...women!

8:15 PM

 
Blogger buddhabikeryaya said...

oooo...you know it. we will change them, one turn of the screw at a time! ha! or will we just come to realize like much of the animal kingdom...we really only need them for their sperm if we choose to procreate. otherwise, well...frankly - we can and do run the world. i know i have many things i could have done by now if not for the time input of the ol (ok still looking for an acronym)husband.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger Mommygoth said...

Right ON, girl!

7:02 PM

 
Blogger Gina said...

You know, as a mother of a boy, I have done a lot of research on how our society treats boys, and how many people raise them to impossible standards.

I'm not saying that I believe women should be degraded or treated as lesser by any means, just that boys are a product of their environment. And I feel that must mean that somewhere along the line, a woman must have dropped the ball.

8:48 PM

 
Blogger Trabinski said...

Gina, it's awesome to hear that you've done research on raising boys. I have a little guy too and have been feeling like I can't just focus on "women's issues" with regards to my daughter and leave Super T hanging.

I would love to "chat" more with you about what you've learned, books you recommend, etc. Because I do truly want women to be equal - not a higher standard than men.

I absolutely agree that boys are a product of their environment - which makes both men and women responsible.

I'm hoping that we learn to be more concious of that enviroment for both girls and boys so that we can find a happy medium - equality. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! I love the dialogue!

8:39 AM

 
Blogger Nancy said...

Wow -- who knew respect was such a hot topic this week! ;-)

I am the mother of 2 girls -- ages 18 months and 4 years -- and I have been hopeful that they will grow up without knowing barriers or discrimination due to their sex. However, I see more and more signs every day that it's a battle they will still have to wage at some level in their lives.

My hope is that more women will be open and honest about this ongoing issue, bring it out where it can be dissected and (hopefully) discarded in time, because it does not reflect today's reality. There is no reason why women should not be equal to men in every way, with respect to work at home and in the office, with respect to pay, etc.

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I am always happy to find another good read!

3:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home