- peering down for a broader view -

Friday, March 31, 2006

I Will Survive!

Yesterday I found myself in a bit of a funk. The day started out pretty well but just went downhill from there. I’ve taken a hiatus from teaching for the past few years to stay home with my kids. As rewarding as this experience has been ☺, I have felt the need to re-cultivate my professional side as well. In an attempt to have my cake and eat it too, I decided to try to publish some of the curriculum that I’ve developed over the years.

After months of obsessing over it to make sure it was publisher friendly (in my opinion) I finally sent in a curriculum submission a few weeks ago. I was so excited to finally just get it out there. Well, yesterday came the first rejection email. ☹ Now I totally understand that this is part of the process of getting something published – especially a first time submission; but still, it was a let down. So that started my funk.

Then, I finally got around to reading the parent letter that KK’s teacher had sent home on Tuesday. In her letter she said that over Spring Break, her younger sister passed away. My heart sank. Shit. . . (with big sigh). KK’s teacher is not old so her younger sister must have been not much older than me (if at all). Mrs. Teacher said her sister had been ill, but death was unexpected. It was a shock to everyone.

Perspective. If you happen to have lost it momentarily – pause and look up – I bet the Universe is waving it in front of you. At least that’s how it hit me. Who cares about the first rejection letter of my life? If I expect to write, I better get used to it. But losing a sister? Shit. . . (another big sigh). I’ve got two sisters and just the thought of losing one throws me into a tailspin.

It seems my choices are: I can chose to sit and wallow in what feels like my own shit, or grab some of that perspective slapping me on the cheek and keep moving. I think I prefer the latter. So in my effort to focus on the things that I am grateful for I’m sharing some pretty darned cute pictures of my kids at the Doodlebops concert and more. Thanks to Mommygoth for pointing me to flickr.com to make my picture posting much easier!! ☺

Have a great weekend!


I wish I was Dee Dee
Originally uploaded by broominyaya.





High fivein' Mo
Originally uploaded by broominyaya.



Crazymakin'
Originally uploaded by broominyaya.





Soccer Chic
Originally uploaded by broominyaya.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobita said...

Love, love, love this post.

Perspective makes all the difference, doesn't it?!

You are right, you will survive! Those bastards don't know what they are missing by not publishing your curriculum. One day you'll be presenting it at UPenn to one of Marty's grad classes! ;)

PPfffttt! Bastards!

7:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home